Swiss Chard is one of our favourite greens. And cooked with pumpkin cubes and dry red chillies, it makes a really pretty dish....with all the greens and oranges and reds in it.
Pumpin/Calabaza - 3 cups, cubed
Swiss Chard - 2 bunches*
Onion - 1/2 cup, diced
Ginger - 1/2 inch knob, minced
Panch Phoron - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies - 2, broken
Coriander Seed/Dhaniya Powder - 1 tsp
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
1. Wash Swiss Chard thoroughly. Remove tough stems and shred roughly. You could use a salad spinner to get rid of the excess water at this stage.**
2. Heat oil in pan. Add panch phoron and dry red chillies. Wait for the seasoning to sputter.
3. Now add the onions, saute till translucent and then add ginger and dhaniya powder. Cook till the raw smell dissipates.
4. Now add the diced pumpkin and salt. Cover the pan and let the pumpkin cook for 4-5 minutes until half way tender.
5. Finally add the Swiss Chard and cook until the pumpkin is tender and the chard well cooked. This should take another 4- 5 minutes. Check seasoning one last time.
6. Serve with piping hot massor dal, rice and lemon wedges.
* this gave me about 5 handfuls of chopped greens
** I usually wash and chop up my greens as soon as I get them from the store. I give them a couple of spins in my salad spinner and then use the salad spinner itself for storing them in the refridgerator.