Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Chanar Dalna

The secret to good cooking is good, fresh ingredients, everyone knows that. But with our hectic nine to five lifestyles it is not very easy to implement. Case in point being jeere-dhone-ada-bata which is a simple spice blend used in most Bengali cooking. Equal quantities of cumin seed, corainder seeds and fresh ginger are ground together into a paste and used for flavouring vegetable dishes as well as fish preparations. The seeds are first soaked in a little warm water for about fifteen minutes to soften them up before being ground with the ginger. But it takes both time and effort to make the fresh paste everytime so most home cooks improvise. Even my Mom makes do with powdered cumin and coriander seeds mixed in with ginger paste for every day cooking. She does make a batch of the fresh paste whenever she is cooking something a little special, because the aroma of freshly ground spices is totally worth the extra effort.

Last night, I decided to make chanar dalna the way I remember Mom making it. I did not have her exact recipe so I tried to replicate what my tastebuds remember. Chanar dalna is your basic matar paneer but without ginger and in a much lighter gravy. It has always been a winter comfort food for me. But first I made myself a batch of jeere-dhone-ada-bata. For jeere-dhone-ada-bata:
Take one tablespoon of cumin and coriander seeds each and soak in enough warm water to cover the seeds. Chop a two inch piece of ginger into small pieces (to help the blender do its job). After fifteen minutes, blend the cumin and coriander seeds along with the ginger in a small blender or food processor. Add more water sparingly to get a paste like consistency. This keeps well in the refrigerator for about a week.


Ingredients:
Paneer - 400gms or 1 package, cubed
Green Peas - 2 cups, frozen
Tomato- 1 medium sized, cubed
Tomato Paste - 2 tbsps
Jeere-dhone-ada paste - 2 tbsps
Onion - 1 medium, minced
Green Chillies - 3, deseeded and slit
Cloves - 2
Green Cardamom - 2
Cinnamon - 1, one inch peice
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Salt - To taste
Peanut Oil - 2 tbsp+ for frying
Cilantro - 3 sprigs, chopped for garnish

Method:
1. Fry the paneer pieces in oil till golden brown and remove.
2. In the same oil (if remaining or else add more) add the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. Once its fragrant add the onion and sautee till translucent.
3. Add the jeere-dhone-ada paste and fry till the raw smell is gone. Add the tomatoes and cook till mushy. At this stage add the turmeric powder, salt and tomato paste and continue to cook for a minute or two. Make sure the masala does not burn.
4. Add the peas and paneer cubes and mix with masala. Add two cups of water and the green chillies.
5. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes till the gravy thickens a little. Check seasoning and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve warm with chappattis.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love chanar dalna. And I really liked your 'panch phoran' description and so I pointed to it from my blog in this post:
http://chatpatfood.blogspot.com/2006/09/tangy-ghee-aloo.html

Anyesha said...

Thanks...hopefully I will be able to put up a picture later today.

Anupama said...

Thanks for the Jeere Dhone Ada Bata Recipe. I 'll make some in a small quantity and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Wishing peace, health, and happiness in 2007 and always. Happy New year to you and your family !

jacob said...

you're absolutely right about the freshness of the ingredients. nice blog and interesting recipes.

Anupama said...

hey- i made the chanar dalna. but doesn't it have ginger anyway because of the jeere dhoe ada bata?
anyway it was good albeit mine was a bit watery. any tips?

Jeena said...

Hi Your food blog looks great and you have some
lovely recipes, I will be back to visit you.

from
Jeena xx

visit jeenas blog for healthy recipes
updated daily !

Jeena said...

Hi Your food blog looks great and you have some
lovely recipes, I will be back to visit you.

from
Jeena xx

visit jeenas blog for healthy recipes
updated daily !

N said...

Great recipe and great blog! Keep up the good work. Good to see authenic Bengali recipes. I have also started a blog with lots of Bengali recipes recently : picklesandpuddings.blogspot.com

Caleb said...

I found your food blog going through a few links. Glad I ran into it. Didn’t know that the food blog/recipe community was so big online. I love your posts!

I was wondering if you would like to exchange links. I’ll drop yours on my site and you drop mine on yours. Email at ramendays@yahoo.com or stop by my site and drop a comment. Let me know if you would like to do a link exchange.

Cheers,
Caleb
http://www.ramendays.com

Rifaqs Khan said...

Hey guys if you want to know price of any thing/product, but tired of searching for so many Pakistani websites, I am giving you a unique website link to search in all most all Pakistani online shopping websites at oncecsearch here its free http://pricegrabber.pk