Bengal gram split (chana dal) - 1/2 cup
Eggs - 6
Onions - 2 medium sized
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 3 cloves
Tomato - 1 medium sized
Green chillies - 2
Oil - 3 tbsps
Curry leaves - 4
Kashmiri red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Tamarind pulp - 2 tbsps
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves small bunch
1. Wash and soak the dal for two hours. Put the eggs in boiling water and cook for fifteen minutes. Cool and peel.
2. Peel, wash and grind onions. Peel, wash and grind ginger and garlic into a paste. Blanch the tomatoes, peel and roughly chop. Remove stems, wash and slit green chillies. Clean, wash and chop coriander leaves.
3. Cook dal in one and half cups of water until soft. Mash and set aside.
4. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add curry leaves. Add onion paste and fry till it turns light brown in colour. Add ginger paste, garlic paste, Kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and sauté well. Stir in tomatoes. Add the cooked dal, slit green chillies, coconut milk, tamarind pulp and salt to taste. Simmer for further ten minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add the boiled eggs and simmer for two minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.