Monday, January 16, 2006

Chicken Fennel Soup

I love cooking with new and exotic ingredients. The stranger the better says the Boy. Fennel has been on my to-try list for quite some time. I use fennel seeds quite liberally in my cooking and as a mouth freshener, but fresh fennel by way of fronds and bulbs was something new. So this week, I bought a nice, shiny bulb of fennel for experimentation at the Korean store. After a fair bit of googling, I decided to make it into a soup with chicken, mushrooms and red pepper. And for a change I also had that one kitchen staple-good quality chicken stock. I got mine in a carton from Trader Joes and it says free range on the box. Yippee!! Happy chickens make happy chicken broth and we all know happy broth makes happy soup. The basic inspiration from the soup came from here but I gave the cream and half and half a miss. I am not particularly fond of heavy, creamy soups and like my star ingredients floating in a clear-ish broth. The soup had all the heartwarming goodness of a good chicken soup. The red pepper and mirin added a hint of sweetness which was quite interesting while the fennel had a subtle taste which was not as pronounced as I would have like it to be. We had this soup for dinner last night with toasted bread as well as for lunch today (with a few spoonfuls of cooked rice stirred in). Quite a pot-ful, yeah!



Ingredients:
Chicken Breast - 1 boneless, cubed

Fennel Bulb - 1 medium sized, sliced
Red Pepper - 1 cup, diced
Crimini Mushrooms - 6 to 7 medium sized, diced
Lemon Zest - 1.5 tsp
Mirin - 3 tbsp
Chicken Broth - 3 cups
Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
Parsley - 1 tsp
Salt and Pepper - To Taste

Method:
1.Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a pot and start browning chicken in it. After five minutes, add the sliced fennel, lemon zest, salt, pepper and mirin. Keep cooking till chicken is half done.
2.Add this stage add chicken broth to the pot and turn down the heat. Let it simmer while you heat the remaining oil in another pan and sauté the mushrooms and pepper in it with a sprinkling of parsley.
3.Add sautéed mushroom and pepper to soup and simmer till chicken is done. Serve warm garnished with a dollop of yogurt and left over fennel leaves.gredients:

5 comments:

Anthony said...

Linked you..

vkn said...

Just loved the fennel soup. You folks are terrific. Added you to my monster directory of Indian food bloggers. Cheers!

vkn said...

Anyesha - with great pleasure, let me invite you to participate in a virtual cooking competition - VCC Q1 2006, theme is appetizers (any cuisine, deadline March 31, 2006. For more details, kindly check out My Dhaba's post on VCC.

vkn
Chef de cuisine
My Dhaba

Anthony said...

No more updates???

LERA said...

Fennel imparts a good flavour!